Bhubaneswar – The Temple City of India
Bhubaneswar – the capital city of Odisha, is one of the beautiful cities in country known for its wonderful architectural wonders that are in the form of temples and shrines. However, you will also see myriad of prehistoric to contemporary monuments, parks, museums, malls and different other wonderful attractions in & around Bhubaneswar.
Bhubaneswar means – the Lord of the Universe. Once it was known as the Cathedral of the East for proud possession of magnificent sculptures and architectural heritage coupled with the sanctity as Ekamrakshetra epitomizing the history of Odisha (Orissa) since 3rd Century B.C. Today, the largest city of the state is the political, educational, economic, cultural and tourist hub of region luring a good number of tourists from across the country and worldwide. Bhubaneswar is also one of the essential pillars forming the Golden Triangle and Swarna Tribhuja in Eastern India.
TEMPLES IN BHUBANESWAR
- The capital city of Odisha is known for temples that date back a time sawing the waning of Buddhism and revival of Hinduism under the successive dynasties ruled Odisha. Amongst ancient temples, Lingaraj Temple is the oldest and tallest one housing more than 150 small temples and shrines within its periphery. The Oldest Parsurameswar Temple, Mukteswar Temple, with archway (Torana), the Ornate Raja Rani, Brahmeswar Temple are some of the oldest and main temples of Bhubaneswar describing the ancient history and architectural wonders of India. Sri Sri Krishan and Balaram Mandir, Bhuddhism attractions in Dhauli Giri are some of the must see temples and holy places in Bhubaneswar to visit.
- A very beautiful lake near Lingaraja and Ananta Vasudeva Temples, Bindu Sarovara keeps drop of every holy river in it.
ODISHA STATE MUSEUM
- Showcasing the ancient archaeological Remains and Treasures
- It is also a must see destination in the capital city showcasing some of the ancient archaeological remains and treasures of Odisha. The wonderful museum also houses Buddhist and Jain sculptures, copper plates from ancient and medieval Kalinga. The best part of the museum is the rare palm leaf manuscripts and a collection of antique paintings.
NANDANA KANNAN – A Wonderful Zoological Park
- Nandan Kanan is a famous zoological park known for providing natural habitat to white tiger and lions safari. It is also a breeding center of rare species of white tiger.
DHAULI HILL – A Famous Buddhist Pilgrimage in Odisha
- It is one of the popular and most visited Buddhist pilgrimage in Khordha District of Odisha around 8 km from Bhubaneswar. It has a historical significance as well. The hill symbolizes the place where, after observing the bloodshed of Kalinga War, Emperor Ashoka bowed out war and agreed to Buddhism. Serving as a proof of this refutation are the statutes of the Emperor, which have been preserved here.
- It is also one of the biggest Botanical Garden with a beautiful lake at the center. Ekamra Kannan is known for Asia’s largest cactus collection.
CAVES OF UDAIGIRI & KHANDGIRI
- The ancient 153 B.C old caves witnessed the meditation place for Jain monks who believed in leading an existence stripped off all worldly and material comforts.
There are numerous educational institutes, shopping centers and other attractions in & around capital city. Puri and Konark are also at a few hours drive from here; while you can explore a wonderful beach town of Gopalpur on Sea and Chilika by spending three to four hours in journey.
Best Time to Visit Bhubaneswar
The beautiful capital city is visited by tourist throughout the year. However, the best time to visit BBSR is from October to March. Weather conditions during these months are pleasant and perfect to visit prehistoric monuments, national parks and other attractions in surrounding areas.