DARJEELING is a dreamy outpost in the hills of West Bengal, full of an old world romance and breath-taking mountain vistas. All the things you may have heard about Darjeeling are not enough to prepare you for the magic that permeates this charming remnant of the colonial past. Darjeeling is home to lush green tea gardens, a heritage toy train service and longstanding educational institutions like Mount Hermon and St. Paul’s. There are exquisite views of the Kanchengjunga and other mighty Himalayan peaks and you can also get some of the best momos in the world here. Other tourist attractions around town include monasteries, rock gardens, zoological parks and Tiger Hill, from where you can see some of the most spectacular sunrises.
Chowrasta and Mall – A Place to Keep You Busy in the Hill Town
- Located in the heart of town, there is a wide walkway atop a ridge, lined with shops and restaurants. Here, you will get a lot more to treasure during your Darjeeling trip.
Tiger Hill – Witness the Rapidly Changing Colors over the Kanchenjunga Peak
- The beautiful hill at an altitude of 8000 ft above sea level offers a panoramic view of the Himalayas. Visit it before dawn or very early in the morning and you will be witnessing the rapidly changing colors over Kanchenjunga peak in its kaleidoscopic magnificence. You can also catch a glimpse of Mt Everest from here.
Observatory Hill – Explore the Mesmerizing Mountain Range
- Locally known as Dara, it is rising over Chowrasta from where you see the whole mountain range with more than 12 peaks of over 20000 ft high.
Senchal Lakes – A Great Picnic Spot
- Being a perfect picnic spot at a few minutes distance from Tiger Hill, it is also the source of fresh water supply for Darjeeling.
Mahakal Temple – A Great Sanctity of Bhutia People of the Region
- Being the great sanctity of Bhutia people, the sacred temple has a phallic stone structure representing Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh – the Hindu Icons of Creation, Growth and Destruction.
Japanese Peace Pagoda – Presenting the Traditional Japanese Architectural Style
- It was formed by a Japanese Buddhist – named Nipponzan Myohoji to ensure peace and harmony in the region.
Ghoom Gompa – a Must See Monastery in Darjeeling
- The beautiful monastery enshrines a 15 ft image of Maitreya Buddha. This magical monastery is often covered in mist and is old and dark, and so it is often lovingly called Gloom.
War Memorial – In the Memory the Brave Sons of Darjeeling
- The War Memorial on the top of the Batasia-loop was constructed to honor the brave sons of Darjeeling who died in action since 1947.
In addition to the aforementioned attractions and must see places, there are also numerous other attractions like
- Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (UNESCO World Heritage Site), Himalayan Mountaineering Institute, Shruberry Nightingale Park, Himalayan Zoological Park, Lloyd Botanical Garden, Tibetan Refugee Self-Help Centre, Rock Garden, Ganga Maiya Park, Batasia Loop, Governor’s House and different educational institutes and schools of ancient time.