About West Bengal
Located on the eastern end of India and stretching from Himalayas into the north to the Bay of Bengal in the South, the beautiful state of West Bengal is known for the marvelous landscapes and natural scenic beauty. Not forget to mention its culture and rich heritage. From prehistoric monuments in Kolkata, Murshidabad, Hooghly and Darjeeling to rich forest ranges of Sundarbans Mangrove to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of the Darjeeling Himalayan Hill Regions to beautiful beaches to the mountain ranges like Sandakfu, it offers a lot to explore.
There are numerous elaborately woven stories of different civilizations, cultural diversity and rich history of British Raj left their footprint here. From its multi-cuisine dishes to sweets, dance, art, culture, fairs & festivals to ancient markets, prehistoric monuments to its vibrant cities, you will be busy for many days during your West Bengal tour.
Kolkata – The Capital City of State and the Cultural Capital of India
- The capital city of West Bengal, Kolkata is the largest metropolitan city of India. Commonly called as the cultural capital of India, Kolkata has been a home of famous pots, writers, stars, film directors and artists. It is also known for some of the popular destination that include the Victoria Memorial, St Paul’s Cathedral, Jewish Synagogues, Parsi Fire Temples, Japanese Buddhist Temple, Kalighat, Birla Temple, Belur Math, Dakshineswar Kali Temple, Rabindra Sarovar, Zoological Garden, Howrah Bridge, Marble Palace, Science City, Shahid Mandir, Indian Museum, and the list goes on.
Darjeeling – a Paradise for Nature Lovers and Adventure Tour Enthusiasts
- Located at an altitude of 6,710 ft (average) in Lesser Himalaya, Darjeeling is one of the beautiful hill stations in the state of West Bengal, India. War Memorial, Ghoom Gompa, Japanese Peace Pagoda, Mahakal Temple, Senchal Lakes, Observatory Hill, Tiger Hill, Chowrasta and Mall, Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (UNESCO World Heritage Site), Himalayan Mountaineering Institute, Shruberry Nightingale Park, Himalayan Zoological Park, Lloyd Botanical Garden, Tibetan Refugee Self-Help Centre, Rock Garden, Ganga Maiya Park, Batasia Loop, are some of the attractive places to visit in Darjeeling, West Bengal.
Festivals of West Bengal
- The beautiful state in the eastern part of India is known for celebrating festivals in a grand way. Durga Puja (in the month of October every year) is the most popular festival. Polia Baishakh (New Year in Bengali Culture), Dolyatra, Basanta Utasva, Kali Puja, Poush Mela, etc are some other popular fairs and festivals in West Bengal.
Wildlife Sanctuaries and National Parks in West Bengal
- More than 13% land of the state is covered by forest ranges that are home to different commonly found to rare and endangered species of wild animals, birds, reptiles and water creatures. Some of the famous wildlife sanctuaries and national parks include Sunderbans National Park, Jaldapara Wildlife Sanctuary, Sajnekhali Bird Sanctuary, Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park and Calcutta Zoo.
Some of the Most Famous and Must See Places and Attractions of West Bengal
- Cooch Behar Palace (Victor Jubilee Palace) in Cooch Behar City, Hazarduari Palace (Bara Kothi) in the campus of Kila Nizamat in Murshidabad, Shantiniketan in Birbhum District, are also some of the must see destinations during your tour the beautiful state. Not forget to mention the natural beauty of Siliguri and New Jalpaiguri that will keep you mesmerized for the time to come. you will get a chance to explore these attractions during your Darjeeling tour.