Gangtok – the capital city of Sikkim on a ridge at 5500 feet height is a beautiful hill station and the hub of different activities of this North-East Indian state. Nestled in the clouds and surrounded by the plush greenery, deep valleys and scenic view of Khangchendzonga (Kanchenjunga), the beautiful hill town is a business, political, cultural, education and tourism hub of the state where a good number of tourists (both business and leisure tourists) come throughout the year.
Here, you will see a perfect blend of ancient culture and traditions and contemporary fashion and trends. Entire hill station and its surrounding area has a charisma of its own that keep one spell bound. MG Marg is the main street and a great place to chill out. Being the first litter and spit free zone, the beautiful street is free from vehicular traffic. There are also numerous attractions in & around Gangtok to visit. Some of the wonderful and popular tourist places to visit in & around Gangtok are the following.
Rumtek Monastery – The Dharmachakra Centre
- A Tibetan Monastery, Rumtek Monastery is a must see place during your Gangtok tour.
Himalayan Zoological Park – A Home to Rare to Endangered Species of Animals
- The beautiful zoological park is a home to a wide species of Himalayan fauna like the black beer, barking deer, snow leopard, civet cat, red pandas and the spotted deer..
Nathula – A Beautiful Mountain Pass
- An Indo-China Route at an altitude of about 14200 ft, Nathula is around 55 km from Gangtok covered with a variety of alpine flora and fauna. It is open only for Indian Nationals.
Tsomgo Lake - Also Known as the Source of Lakes
- Popularity known as Chhangu Lake, Tsomgo Lake is situated on an altitude of 12000 ft above sea level on Gangtok-Nathula Highway. It is a home of Ruddy Shelduck or Brahminy ducks. Here, you will also see a variety of flowers blooming that include rhododendrons, primulas, blue and yellow poppies, irises and the list goes on.
Tashi View Point
- It is a must see destination during Sikkim tour. Tashi View Point offers the amazing view of Mt Kanchenjunga and other neighboring hills.
Ropeway – Explore the Beautiful City from Sky
- Ropeway takes you to the highest point of the city by covering the distance of around 1 km. Deorali Market (the Lower Terminal Station), Nam Nang (The intermediate terminal) and Secretariat (Tashiling) are different stations of this ropeway. In addition to the aforementioned attractions, Ganesh Tok (the Hindu Temple dedicated to Lord Ganesha), Temi Tea Garden, Enchey Monastery, Do-drul Chorten, Dodrupchen Monastery, Hanuman Tok, Banjhakri Waterfalls, Institute of Tibetology and Handloom Center are also must see destination during your Gangtok tour.