Ensconced in the Lower Himalayas, the tiny kingdom state of Sikkim is one of the most beautiful places not just in the country, but in the entire world. Tourist attractions and places to visit in Sikkim include distant forgotten villages to verdant jungle trails, from frozen lakes to ancient monasteries. Whether you are an avid adventure enthusiast or just a weary traveller looking for a restful respite, there are ample things to do in Sikkim for everyone.
Popular Cities and Towns in Sikkim
- Gangtok – the capital city and the most beautiful hill station is the main city in Sikkim. It is also the cultural, political, business, educational and commercial hub of Sikkim. Apart from this, Dzongu (in North Sikkim), Geyzing (West Sikkim), Mangan, Namchi, Pelling, Ravangla, Yuksom, etc are the main cities and town of Sikkim.
Monasteries in Sikkim
- The influence of Buddhism is felt in all parts of the state and more than 200 monasteries and Lhakhangs are the evidence of this influence. You will see sacred caves, lakes, stupas, fluttering prayer flags and images and symbols of Buddhism everywhere in Sikkim. Some of the famous monasteries in Sikkim are Pemayangste, Tashiding, Rumtek(on hill facing Gangtok), Enchey, Phensang (Near Gangtok), Ralong, Phodang (Near Gangtok), Tolung(in the Dzongu area of North Sikkim) and the list goes on.
Hot Springs in Sikkim
- The beautiful state in North-east India has numerous hot springs known for their therapeutic values and healing power. Their medicinal properties (high in Sulphur) and average temperature makes them ideal places to visit. The Yumthang Hot spring near River Lachung, Yume Samdong Hot Spring at the base of Donkia-la Pass, Reshi Hot Spring on the banks of the Rangeet River, Borong and Ralong hot springs, etc are different hot springs to visit during your Sikkim tour.
Wildlife Centuries and National Parks
- The beautiful hill state is also known for some of the famous wildlife sanctuaries and national parks. Kanchendzonga National Park (KNP), Fambong Lho Wildlife Sanctuary, Maenam Wildlife Sanctuary, Singba Rhododendron Sanctuary, Kyongnosla Alpine Sanctuary, Varsey Rhododendron Sanctuary, etc are some of the famous wildlife sanctuaries and national parks famous as the natural habitat of the Himalayan Fauna, rare to endangered species of wild animals, birds and reptiles.
Lakes in Sikkim
- Beautiful lakes dotting the landscape of Sikkim are considered as sacred. North Sikkim adjoin Tiber has numerous mountain lakes like Gurdongmar and Chho Lamo (Source of the Teesta River). Not forget to mention Tsomgo Lake (in East Sikkim) and Khecheopalri (In West Sikkim) that are the most beautiful lakes in Sikkim. Menmecho Lake (a few km ahead of Tsomgo), Lampokari Lake (in East Sikkim saddled on the top of hill)are also must see lakes during your Sikkim tour.
Trekking in Sikkim
- Sikkim is a paradise for trekking enthusiasts. There are numerous trekking points like the Dzongri- Goecha La Trek – the most popular trek in Sikkim known for great mountain views, a flowery sight in summer, bird and views of pristine forest. Green Lake trek – the base of Mt Kangchendzonga on the Zemu Glacier in North Sikkim, is counted as the most enchanting of all treks. Other trek routes include Rhododendron Trek, Monastic trek, Khangchendzonga trek, coronation trek, Khedi trek, Singalila trek, Tosar Lake trek and Meanam hill trek.
- There are numerous temples and shrines in the state like Hanuman tok, Shiva Mandir, Legship (also known as Kirateshwar Mahadev temple, Solopok, Samdrupste, Buddha Park, etc that persuade pilgrimages and nature lovers towards the beautiful state in North-East India.