In & Around
- The iconic Rumtek Monastery with its superb awe-inspiring architecture and serene environs should definitely be on your list of places to visit in Gangtok.
Himalayan Zoological Park
- The stunning Himalayan Zoological Park is one of the most beautiful and well maintained zoos in the entire country. It is home to exotic species of animals like red panda, snow leopard, clouded leopard and Himalayan civet.
- High up in the snow filled alpine mountains, the Nathu La Pass connects India to China. It formed a part of the ancient Silk Route.
- Ganesh Tok is one of the most famous God Ganesh temple in Gangtok capital city of Sikkim. It stands at a height of 6,500 feet.The path to Ganesh Tok is covered with sacred flags hoisted and tied across the roads. The flags are colored in White, Red, Green, Blue, Yellow and Purple.
- The crystal waters of the revered Tsomgo Lake enthral visitors as they change colours according to the seasons including remaining completely frozen during the winters. The area is also well interspersed with poppies and rhododendrons.
Temi Tea Garden
- A short drive away from Gangtok, the exquisite looking well-manicured gardens of Temi Tea Estate provide a nice insight into plantation life. During season, cherry blossoms can be around the estate in abundance.
- A nice mountain drive takes you to the sacred temple of Hanuman Tok. It is a beautiful tourist place that has lovely views as well.
Tashi View Point
- The expansive views over the hills including that of the mighty Kanchendzonga on a clear day make Tashi View Point one of the most popular tourist attractions in Gangtok.
- Sightseeing in Gangtok would not be complete without visiting the Ban Jhakri Falls and the adjoining park. Ethnic sculptures and statues of a shamanistic tradition dot the park.
- The Ropeway affords you uninterrupted beautiful views from the comfort of your cable car. It is an exciting way to see the bustling hill town of Gangtok and is one of the popular things to do in Gangtok for travellers.
Institute of Tibetology
- The Namgyal Institute of Tibetology gives a wonderful insight into Tibetan art, culture, language and history. The museum here is a treasure trove of priceless manuscripts, paintings, sculptures, masks and other works of art.
DO Drul Chorten
- Do Drul Chorten is a majestic stupa in Gangtok. There are more than a hundred prayer wheels here.
- The main town avenue of MG Marg is a bustling beautifully maintained vehicle-free road filled with trendy cafes, provision stores, superb street food and quirky stores selling everything from locally made crafts to eclectic knick knacks.
- The Handloom and Handicrafts Centre showcases traditional carpets, masques, wooden dolls, shawls, paintings and hand carved wooden folding tables.