In & Around
- The Jagannath Temple is a major pilgrimage destination for Hindus and is a part of the “Char Dham” pilgrimages.
- You can see marvellous sunrises and sunsets over the Bay of Bengal from the popular Puri Beach. You can go for a quick dip in the ocean or just sun bathe on the golden sands.
- Sightseeing in Puri would not be complete without visiting Shree Lokanath which is an 11th century temple dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- The Sun Temple of Konark is a famous UNESCO World Heritage site. The impressive architecture of this imposing monument which has been built in the shape of a giant chariot is a beautiful sight to behold.
- Enjoying a relaxing day on the quiet and gorgeous Chandrabhaga Beach is definitely one of the best things to do near Puri. On Magha Saptami day, people come in large numbers to take a holy dip in the waters.
- One of the major tourist attractions near Puri is the beautiful Chilka Lake which is a large saltwater lagoon that is noted for bird watching, water sports and fishing.
- The charming coastal town of Satapara which is famed for sightings of the Irrawaddy Dolphin is a great choice amongst places to visit near Puri.
- The culturally vibrant town of Pipili is famous for the colourful and beautiful Applique handicrafts.
- The quaint village of Raghurajpur is renowned as an engrossing centre of heritage crafts and is home to some excellent “Patta Chitra” artists.
The Puri-Konark Marine Drive
- The stunning Puri-Konark Marine Drive is peppered generously with several enthralling sights along the way including views of the river and the sea. You can also stop over at a temple or at a quiet beach. Every year an annual Surf Festival takes place further towards Ramchandi Beach where some of the finest waves for surfing in India can be found.